Saturday 3 September 2011

Discipline

So I thought I would continue the theme of my son for another few blogs :) (and stupidly just realised can change font colour and add pictures :/ oh dear lol)


We all have our babies and often go to playgroups and see big toddlers and giant children and think my child will never be like that. They will be kind and loving, do as there told and be as easy peasy as they are now.


Hahahahahaha how I laugh at people who say that now (mostly at myself lol). How naive I was lol and now my child is that big scary child who all the new mums look warily at and I say hes ok he wont hurt them or take dummy and thankfully that's true apart from those 2 times :/.

When our children are babies we see 'naughty' children and those who are brats and think nope ill prevent all that and my baby will be polite and nice and never act spoilt.


Hahahaha how I laugh at myself for thinking again a naive thought.


Then the day we realise ok my child is like all the other children and wont be perfect even 50% of the time i will use this method and that method to keep him in check. that parent obviously doesn't do it right but i will.


Hahahah...... oh that isn't funny cos it seems I'm not doing it right either :/


So here's what we do:

Time out
we have a posh time out mat that times the minutes and if the child lifts off set out an alarm.
So he gets sent there to calm down and more often than not ends up having a little sing to himself and takes great joy is purposely getting off to make alarm go. As you can see he looks relaxed if slightly annoyed at having photo taken lol. he then gets off and the reaction???? usually carries on being naughty lol.

Reward chart
We used a magnetic reward chart to assist his potty training and worked beautifully so I decided to make him his very own chart for being good and the result was a yeti climbing a mountain. Now as you see hes still near the bottom. This isn't because hes naughty all the time and doesn't deserve for the yeti to move up because he is and does. It's at the bottom because every time he does a good thing or does as told he have about 10 warnings that accompany it so ends in the warning of yeti being moved down mountain, time out and he eventually does as hes told. Poor yeti is getting sea sick with the going up and down all time lol.

Take away toys
The next step is if you don't tidy your toys I will take them off you, throw them away or give to someone who appreciates them. There are a number of results (again!!) for this 'threat' (NB has also been made a promise). They are: NOOO MUMMY and they get half tidied, that's not fair then they get tidied, rarely ok mummy and the most common and equally as shocking every time is You do it then or Daddy will do it.

You will go to bed early
This is rarely used and mostly by daddy but very occasionally we have to use it and whats the response to this you might ask????
Can I go now please.
Huh? what erm no you have to stay downstairs now.
But I don't want to, I want to go play upstairs
Well your not doing as your told so you don't get to do what you want and play upstairs when your suppose to be in trouble
Well that's not fair (then usually a little stamp of foot and stomp of foot and stalks into kitchen lol)

As you see the discipline doesn't quite go to plan he seems to enjoy most of them :/ I've always thought he was a strange child ha. The thing he loves most in the world however is chocolate!!! But then don't we all?
Hes always been a fussy and difficult eater after about 12 months and has been a huge battle so the most used phrase is:

You won't get pudding if you don't eat your tea
This one works YYYYEEEAAAHHHH. Hes told no pudding if don't eat your tea and have one bit of everything to at least try it. We get a confident ok mummy I will eat my tea and every teatime ends in a lil boy acting like a hamster. He barely licks the fork and demands an answer.
Is that enough mummy.
No Jem eat lots more
Is that enough mummy
No Jem eat lots then ill tell you when its enough.

This continues for at least an hour but it works and hes only gone without pudding twice in his life.

So if your new mum reading this thinking my baby wont be like this and all these methods will work take a step back and accept they probably wont and you'll be the one crying at the end whilst your child is running around destroying the house.
Which leads me to one more point.
How on earth does something soooo small makes so much blooming mess in the space of a back turn? I couldn't make that much mess in an hour even if i was trying very hard!

Children definitely have unique skills I just hope Jem's sense of fun and his attitude of taking it all in his stride continues and he doesn't become a stuffy moany adult like his mummy lol xx

1 comment:

  1. Been, done & got the t-shirt...!!
    I've got 2 boys, 2 and a half years apart. They are now 23 & 26... normal, nice, happy boys. Keep at ti - it's worth seeing them bloom..... x

    ReplyDelete